an abandoned traditional malay timber house


Traditional timber houses incorporated design principals relevant in contemporary architecture such as shading and ventilation, qualities present in the basic house features. A main characteristic of a typical kampung house is its on stilts or piles. This was to avoid wild animals and floods, to deter thieves, and for added ventilation.

A traditional Malay timber house usually in two parts: the main house called Rumah Ibu in honour of the mother (ibu) and the simpler Rumah Dapur or kitchen annex, which was separated from the main house for fire protection. Proportion was important to give the house a human scale. The Rumah Ibu was named after the spacings between stilts which are said to typically follow the arms-spread width of the wife and mother in the family of the house when being built. At least one raised veranda (serambi) is attached to the house for seated work or relaxation, or where non-familiar visitors would be entertained, thus preserving the privacy of the interior.

shots taken with Hasselblad SWC, Kodak TriX

Advertisements

Urban Dwellers



A settlement in Kampung Baru Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. Kampung Baru is a Malay enclave in the heart of Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia.

It is also one of the most valuable tracts of land in the capital and is estimated to be worth up to US$1.4 billion. But so far Kampung Baru elders have turned developers away, saying they want to preserve their ethnic Malay lifestyle.

work & leisure


Jalan Tunku Abdul Rahman, Kuala Lumpur Malaysia

yusri b. ramli was here


Pualau Pinang, Malaysia

The Sri Pinang Teachers College was established on June 1, 1957 under the name Daily Training College. The College originally operated in building China Normal School Green Lane Road, Hamilton. In the first year, a total of 321 persons teachers pupils studying in this college. All trainees are studying for 3 years. Subsequently in January 1958, most of the trainees who are undergoing training in Teachers College Kota Bharu has been transferred to this college to continue their training.

Until the 1960’s, the basic qualification is the Certificate of college courses (SRP). After a year they have also taken the School Certificate results. This class is required to undergo training for two years.

In 1973 when the Integrated Teacher Training Programme implemented, these colleges began to provide school teachers and lower secondary education program through the early stages of a child. Consistent with the function and role of the college, the college name was changed to Sri Pinang Teachers College in 1977. Starting in 1981, this college began teaching courses in accordance with the basic six-semester system, and then five semesters.

Because the area at Hamilton College in addition to the lack of a limited basis, in June 1979, the college has moved to Northam Road (now known as Jalan Sultan Ahmad Shah) until the college was closed in 1998.

pangsai


Abandoned Quarters, Kuala Kubu Bharu, Selangor, Malaysia

running to stand still


hard earned cash


 

Kampung Baru, Kuala Lumpur